Your new to an organization and you are assigned a team where the scrum master is in London and the rest of the team is in Singapore, what are the benefits of this configuration.
I am tired of people worshiping blindly at the alter of Steve Jobs. I am sure he would not see it as a good thing. He was without doubt a benevolent dictator, the truth is that there is as much to learn good and bad.
He was the great visionary, but also the great tyrant. There is no question what he achieved is great, and everyone needs to take a close look at how he worked, how he did things. He may not have been following the philosophy of being a Constructive Irritant but its clear he felt that a degree of conflict , lets say irritation was a healthy thing to have in the work place. We should emulate the good but there is little point if its out of context, thus we must learn the bad also. Assuming we don’t wish to repeat the mistakes. Its the good and the bad that shows us the reality.
I am an agent of change, my job is move peoples world view, I do this by being a Constructive Irritant.
This is what Dr. John Izzo says what you need to be as a Constructive Irritant.
Here are some ways to be a constructive irritant.
- Punch above your weight or formal position. Be creative and generate new ideas for products and innovations even it’s not your job description. Win customers for life even if it’s not your department, and generally go bigger than whatever your role says you MUST do.
- Don’t complain, Bring Solutions! When you see a problem, bring it into the light and offer solutions. And when you hear others complaining, make a constructive comment to change the atmosphere.
- State your intention. Write down how you want to change your workplace. Look for ways to influence in the direction of that intention all day long. Say things like “I am raising this issue because I care about this organization and our success.”
- Never finger point. Take Responsibility. When you raise an issue say here is how I have contributed or here is what I can do to solve this. Begin with yourself.
- Debate Up, Advocate Down. With your peers and those above you be known as someone who challenges things in a constructive way. To those who report to you always be a team player supporting decisions made by those above you.
Unfortunately in the last sprint the team had a number of incomplete stories. What happens to those stories, when will they be completed.
One of your team has gone of sick with 5 days left in the sprint, sadly she will not be back this sprint, she is working on two tasks critical to the highest priority story, what do you do ?
For years I have tried and failed to find ways to type my notes and get the same retention I get with writing. It seems cognitive process for typing vs writing is different, this is what results in better retention in writing than typing. Now I need to sort out my handwriting.